Be Prepared, Part 12 – Keeping the Get Home Bag Up to Date
This past Sunday was beautiful here in Kennesaw, and I took the opportunity to clean out and check our Get Home Bag. In this case, I took heed of some family changes in the last couple of years that have changed the needs of the bag somewhat.
First, my wife normally is the one away from home, although certainly on a family trip we would all be involved. In any case, we both went through it and agreed on what to include.
Second, we took into account last year’s snow storm, and what my wife might want to use from the bag.
Here is what we have in the bag, with the changes indicated in bold:
- Granola bars (we are going to find some energy bars or fruit bars as well)
- Change of clothes (2 shirts, sweat pants, and 2 pairs of socks )
- Work gloves
- Ball cap and sock cap and woman’s ear covers
- Bandana and shemagh
- Rubber jar opener (to make a makeshift sink drain plug if needed)
- Cell phone battery charger
- AA Batteries
- LED flashlight
- Light sticks
- Germicidal wipes
- Bedroll and fleece blanket
- A towel
- Space blanket
- Hand Warmers
- Entrenching tool
- Trash bags
- Pen & paper
- Drugs – Aspirin, Immodium, Sudafed, Antacids
In addition, I have a first aid kit and fire extinguisher that would be added.
Of course, we did the usual maintenance – fluffing the blankets and towels, and replacing the granola bars.
Now we are all set for the winter to come!